Who we are
"Being able to read, write and do arithmetic is not merely a human right, it is also a key to being able to live an independent life and becoming a positive force who can help to influence and develop society".
- The Dispurse Foundation is a Swedish aid organisation aiming to be a force to counteract poverty in the world. We are convinced that education is one of the most essential pieces of the puzzle to give individuals the tools and power to lift themselves out of poverty. Being able to read, write and do arithmetic is not merely a human right, it is also a key to being able to live an independent life and becoming a positive force who can help to influence and develop society.
- Dispurse now operates in the north-western region of South America, where illiteracy is widespread among the poor segments of the population, and in particular among women.
- On 23 March 2017, we will be launching our Dispurse Focus 1.0 app after 6 years of development together with neuroscientists, educators and test groups made up of around 400 individuals on the ground in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Colombia.
- What makes the Dispurse Focus app unique compared to other educational apps is that Focus teaches young people and adults to read, write and do arithmetic from scratch without any support from a teacher or supervisor. The tests have shown good results, and after completing the education process participants have achieved basic knowledge of reading, writing and arithmetic equivalent to grade 3 in Sweden.
- The initial target with the launch of Focus 1.0 is for at least 25,000 women in the worst-affected regions to complete the education process within the next three years.
- Dispurse was founded in 1994 by entrepreneur Gert Johansson and is an independent foundation with no political, religious or ideological affiliation.
By making use of the capabilities of modern-day technology we have, over a period of several years, developed our most exciting project to date: Dispurse Education, our digital distance education process for literacy. Dispurse Education is a learning tool where the user learns to read, write and do arithmetic in a fun and educational way.
An individually-adapted learning tool
The Focus literacy programme is an app that has been developed to be used on tablets and smartphones. Our education process is unique in its method, as it is individually adapted to enable it to be used without any teacher support. The system constantly monitors the level of knowledge of the user and adapts the learning process accordingly.
The participants use tablets
The programme is primarily used on tablets and functions with all operating systems. The material can be used by someone who has never attended school, who cannot yet read and who does not understand the correlation between sounds and letters. The user does not need to have any previous knowledge of using technical devices either.
The tablet does not need to be connected to the internet for the programme to function. However, internet access is needed to download updates to the programme. Internet access for this purpose is usually available at a local centre or elsewhere.
What has the Dispurse Foundation previously accomplished?
- Built schools and day centres in Bolivia and Peru.
- Funded higher education for gifted students who didn’t have the financial means themselves, primarily in Bolivia.
- Built a children’s home in the area around Chernobyl and funded buses to enable the children to attend summer camps in Sweden.
- Funded water projects at schools in eastern and central Kenya.
- Carried out relief work among those in need through contributions to a variety of charity organisations.